Thursday 13 October 2011

Happy Birthday, Perking the Pansies

When Liam and I came to Turkey, we intended to retire early, put our feet up and watch the pansies grow. With a ridiculous amount of spare time on my hands, I decided to amuse myself by starting a blog. Maybe it would delay my inevitable descent into alcoholism? At the time, I assumed I would end up talking to myself.  Twelve months, 400 posts, 2000 comments, 6,000 spams and 120,000 hits later, Perking the Pansies has just reached its first birthday. To celebrate this minor miracle I’d like to share what I think are some of the major milestones (Pansysteps).
08/10/2010 - In the Beginning
Perking the Pansies was launched onto an unsuspecting public. God help them. I knew nothing about this blogging business, how it worked or what would happen. This was my debut post.
24/11/2010 - Are You Mad?
I knew something was up when the blog exceeded 12,000 hits. Shit, someone was actual reading my inconsequential, irreverent ramblings. I started to understand blog promotion and search-engine optimisation, joined Faceache and that tweet, tweety thingy to build a virtual social network. Well, it beats actually talking to people.
04/12/2010 - Clapped in Irons
My blog was banned by the Turkish Internet police just as it was taking off. I was expecting a knock at the door by a scandalised conscript in latex gloves, demanding to conduct an internal investigation. I nearly gave the whole thing up in despair.
10/12/2010 - Pooing on a Paddle
After a frantic, fretful week, Perking the Pansies shut up shop at Google and moved lock, stock and barrel to begin life anew at brand new Wordpress premises. Fear of imminent arrest subsided. This naughty little number was my first post on the revamped, re-launched site.
14/03/2011 - Hold the Front Page
Perking the Pansies was featured in the Turkish national press along with a select group of illustrious fellow jobbing bloggers.
01/04/2011 - Bubba’s Gobbler
Perking the Pansies reached 50,000 hits. This was my April Fools' piece. It was partly inspired by thumbing through the gaypers in a Soho watering hole.
06/04/2011 - Perking the Pansies - Bound and Ungagged
The blog has spawned a little book which is about to go off to the publisher. The book covers some of same terrain as the blog but with much more spice, bite, depth, pace and pathos (Well, I hope so).
10/05/2011 - So You Think You Can Write a Pop Song?
This was the first mega post attracting big numbers. Pansies were bursting out all over the place. My pansymap ended up resembling a nuclear attack on Western Europe and North America. All very Cold War.
24/07/2011 - Amy Winehouse, RIP
This is by far my most popular post, 4,600 and still growing. I think it just caught the mood. It also caught the attention of some wanker who left a vile comment. It's the only comment I have ever censored.
17/08/2011 - I’m Coming Out
Perking the Pansies reached 100,000 hits and I exposed myself to the world. No, I didn't get arrested or receive a congratulatory brick through my window.

Many happy returns, Perking the Pansies. Make a wish and hope you make it to the terrible twos.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...