Wednesday 7 September 2011

No Arab Spring for Syria

I came across the blog of a young gay Syrian called Sami. He writes with great courage and eloquence about his plight as gay man in an Arab state and his profound worry about his family as the Assad regime continues its march of murderous oppression. At first I was a little suspicious after the hoax blog by a Syrian lesbian that turned out to be an American writer living in Scotland. Now I’m convinced it’s genuine. As with the entire Arab world, being gay in Syria is illegal and punishment is severe. Of course man on man action is virtually obligatory as access to the fairer sex is restricted before marriage, and sheep are hard to find in Damascus. Boys will be boys after all. Just don’t say gay. Well, at least they don’t string them up like they do in Saudi Arabia and non-Arab Iran so that’s alright then. Gay rights are human rights and humans rights are thin on the ground for anyone in Syria right now.

Syria1
Sami writes:
The regime is still killing in Hama – yesterday they started assassinating doctors to increase fatalities. They are slowly killing my nephew, and killing me in the process. The only image that is in my mind now is of his smile when he calls my name and says, ‘You draw a cat, I draw a dog’. Syrian Gay Guy
I posted a few words of support on Sami’s blog. It was the least I could do. It’s a small, small thing I did as we watch the body count grow.
Perhaps you'd also like to read:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...